While cooking, never leave your range unattended
Children are curious and they can move fast. They see you touching things on the range-top and naturally want to imitate you or at least find out about what you are doing. This curiosity is what motivates your child to learn, but it can also lead to serious injury. This curiosity also drives your child to move faster, reach higher and accomplish surprising physical feats.
- Every year over 5000 children are burned at the stove seriously enough to require emergency room medical treatment according to the American Burn Association.
- Scalds caused 82% of all burns to children under five.
- 60% of the people burned by hot beverages were under two.
- It takes only two seconds for water at 150ºF to cause a third degree burn.
- 46% of the tap water scald patients were under three years old.
- Almost one-fifth of the people burned by hot cooking liquids were under five. Almost one-fifth of the cooking grease scalds were to preschoolers.